Week 1: Defining Distance Learning
The definition of distance learning has evolved greatly and will continue to evolve over time. Two major factors that drive change in the distance learning sector is innovation and experience. Distance education is described as the process of teaching and learning where the student and teacher are geographically distant in some capacity (Smaldino, et Al. 2019). As technological advances have been propelling society forward, so too has distance learning. It seems like we have reached a peak point in time where not only do we have the technology to prepare a rigorous and compelling learning environment, but now also the societal acceptance that this way of learning is equivalent to its traditional counterpart.
As this course has begun, I felt relatively comfortable with my working knowledge of distance learning. I have taken undergraduate classes online, I am now in graduate school online, and I have taught high school classes online through a pandemic. I am familiar with how distance education has changed even in the last eight years between my undergraduate work and graduate studies. One key factor I have noticed in an online learning platform versus a traditional one, is the purposeful use of communication between students. Virtual schooling should address the needs of students including feelings of isolation and promote social devolvement (Huett, et Al. 2008). When learning face to face, this aspect of the classroom happens so naturally that it's hard to even notice but in an online arena, it can be quickly overlooked and forgotten if the facilitator is not diligent in keeping it at the forefront.
This week’s resources have been a fun exploration into the depths of distance learning and the journey it has taken to get here. I had no idea the first evidence of distance learning dates to 1833 with correspondence study through the Swedish post (Smaldino, et Al 2019). I cannot imagine the great lengths it took to learn this way. As I made my way through our readings, I found a new respect for the field of education and how it has masterfully been kept at the cutting edge thanks to innovators like Isaac Pitman and the eventual creation of a correspondence college (Smaldino, et Al 2019).
Another noteworthy read was about Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) (Smaldino, et Al 2019). I have always known universities offered free open classes for lifelong learners to continue education, but never realized the effect they can have on local education. Courses like MOOC’s and other distance learning offerings have the capacity to diminish local teaching opportunity and revenue by students choosing to learn at a location far from their local government. It is clear now why the rush to compete in this market has been so rapid for nearly all educating entities. The concept of survival of the fittest seems to come to mind.
The future of distance learning is bright. I wholly believe that with continual innovation and experiences that we will morph into a society that seamlessly integrates technology so that more authentic learning experiences can take place. Now that we are at a point of the pandemic where companies and organizations are realizing that distance learning can be both cost effective and highly beneficial to its constituents, we’ve got to get to work producing products that reinforce this point.
References
Simonson, M., Zvacek, S., & Smaldino, S. (2019). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (7th ed.) Information Age Publishing.
Chapter 2, “Definitions, History, and Theories of Distance Education” (pp. 31-42)
Huett, J., Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Coleman, C. (2008). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the web (Part 3: K12). TechTrends, 52(5), 63-67.
Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). Distance education: The next generation [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Huett, J. (2008). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the web (Part 2: Higher education). TechTrends, 52(4), 66–70.
Comments
Post a Comment