EDUC-6145: Week 2 Blog Post

 Project: Winter Recital




Retrieved from https://kissflow.com/project/five-phases-of-project-management/ 

Background information

 

Every December I am tasked with the job of putting together a winter recital for all my fine arts dance classes to showcase what they have learned so far in the school year. This recital showcases 175+ students from all levels of dance in my program. In addition to my own classes, I invite dance students from our feeder middle schools as well as other elective classes such as band, orchestra, and theater to perform. The recital ticket sales act as a major fundraiser for my classes to pay for items like dance shoes, and costumes therefore the success of the show is vital to the continuation of my program. When you break down a project into smaller manageable stages, it’s easier to control the project quality (2022). 

I have hosted the show for nearly 10 years now, so I have hit a level of automation that allows me not to get bogged down with all the minute details that need to be completed before show day. With that being said- there always seems to be a few things on the list that could have been done better or that don’t get completed at all. 

 

Successes

 

·      Delegation- the level of expectation is set and standards for completion are clear. I have student helpers and open communication with their respective sponsor to ensure they understand their role and job description. A good project manager sets expectations (Davey, 2021). 

·      Planning- I have a very firm grasp on all the details that need to be completed before show day such as:

o   Create program and make copies

o   Get students to help fold programs and distribute on show day

o   Pre-sale tickets are sold the week of the show, making sure I have petty cash to make change and have copies of the paper tickets needed for purchase at pre-sale 

o   Making copies of signage to alert dancers where their dressing rooms are and which doors to keep always shut during the show

o   Making sure student helpers that operate lighting, curtains, and music know where to go and what to do

o   Teacher volunteers are in place and ready to take tickets at the door and sell tickets as the doors open

 

Failures

 

·      Music- other organizations don’t give me usable copies of music or don’t cut the end so whoever is playing music must know when to stop it

·      Students who agreed to perform do not show up on the day of the show, leaving holes in formations to fill on the spot 

·      Teacher helpers who agreed to help chaperone or oversee student volunteers don’t show up, so students don’t know where to go or what their job is

·      Run out of copies of the program leaving audience members frustrated

·      Run out of petty cash to make change for tickets being sold at the door

 

Project Management process 

 

            In terms of the PM process, I am confident I have a good idea of how to manage the project and all its moving parts. The majority of my ‘failures’ were caused by lack of follow through on the end of others involved in the project. Perhaps a more immediate check-in process with these individuals is necessary to push the recital through to complete success. Being able to check in quickly and in the moment would allow for errors to be caught earlier or prevent them all together. Setting a project communication plan means stakeholders know how and where to communicate with you (Davey, 2021).

        The graphic below shows the breakdown of a SMART goal (2022); I like to use this concept when beginning projects. A SMART goal I have for the Winter Recital is that all dancers perform with increasing confidence and correct technique. I video their performances so they can analyze them to determine if this goal was met.

 

 

Retrieved from https://kissflow.com/project/five-phases-of-project-management/ 

 


References

Davey, L. (2021, April 1). 6 habits of successful project managers. Project and Team Management Software. Retrieved from https://www.teamwork.com/blog/successful-project-managers/ 

Published On January 4. (2022, January 5). 5 phases of Project Management Process - a complete breakdown. Kissflow. Retrieved from https://kissflow.com/project/five-phases-of-project-management/ 

Comments